- Her philosophy: Put what they want where they can find it. The milk in a grocery store is always in the back, so we have to walk through the store.
2) Also, encourage patrons to make “discoveries.”
GLADES organizes non-fiction into categories and within it, you honor Dewey’s chronology.
3) Have fun! Your patrons and staff will enjoy it.
They do face out as much as they can.
They have a set of shelves where they have staff picks.
She changed her teen section to being downstairs.
The Power of Display
-If you loved this...try this.
-Give new life to a current collection - she started encouraging staff to do spring displays.
- Location guides
-Atmosphere: create it!
- Check the calendar (National Read a Book Day), what authors were born in a quiet month?
- Library Programs
- Pop Culture and News stories
Local History Anniversaries
Greater Rochester Teen and Children’s book festivals
Display challenges - whose staff picks are going out the most?
Props: use them but don’t overwhelm people