State Superintendent Tony Evers announces the appointment of a Steering Group to oversee a multi-year project to re-envision how Wisconsin Public Library Systems serve Wisconsin’s 384 public libraries. Wisconsin’s library systems have provided services to public libraries in Wisconsin for over 40 years. With the support of the Council on Library and Network Development (COLAND), the Steering Group in conjunction with various work groups and the Division for Libraries and Technology, will seek to update and refine the roles and services of Public Library Systems and maximize the public investment in library systems and public libraries.
The Steering Group will:
- Provide Strategic Vision, oversight and general leadership for the process.
- Work with the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) to select a project manager to lead the service model development and implementation process.
- Establish process to select and appoint implementation for work group members.
- Provide feedback and guidance to the project manager in the development of the work groups and timelines.
- Provide oversight to ensure transparency and appropriate communication to the library community, decision makers and stakeholders.
- Work with DPI to assess, based on information gathered and progress of service work groups, budget and legislative requests for the 2017-2019 biennial budget.
Name Residence Title/System Library Type/Representation
John DeBacher, Monona Director, Public Library Development DPI Liaison
John T. Thompson Menomonie Director, Indianhead Federated Library System (LS) Large System; LEAN team
Stephen R. Ohs Franklin Director, Lakeshores LS Small System
Paula Kiely Milwaukee Director, Milwaukee Public Library/Milwaukee County Federated LS Large Public & System Resource
Bridget C. Christenson Elroy Director, Hatch Public Library, Mauston/WRLS Small Public
Beth A. Carpenter Appleton Director, Kimberly-Little Chute Public Library/Outagamie-Wauapca LS Small-to Mid Public (& Joint)
Kristie L. Hauer Shawano Director, Shawano City-County Library/Nicolet Federated LS County Joint Public (& Rural)
Kent A. Barnard Wild Rose Director, Patterson Memorial Library, Wile Rose/Winnefox LS Very Small Public
Jessamyn C. Lee-Jones Platteville Director, Platteville Public Library, Southwest LS Small to Mid Public (Small Resource)
Bryan J. McCormick Janesville Director, Hedberg Public Library, Janesville/Arrowhead LS Public (& Resource; & COLAND)
Jon M. Bolthouse Fond du Lac Director, Fond du Lac Public Library/ Winnefox LS Large Public, non-resource
The project and the committee seek to strengthen the cooperative spirit that has helped to make Wisconsin’s public libraries leaders in the cost-effective sharing of resources.
Additional information about the project and process leading up to it can be found at http://pld.dpi.wi.gov/pld_system-redesign.
John DeBacher, Director, Public Library Development
Wisconsin Dept. of Public Instr., Division for Libraries and Technology